Sewer Backups in Sedalia, Warrensburg, and Surrounding Areas
Sewer Backup—What is It and Am I Covered?
A sewer backup occurs when sewage from sanitary sewer lines back up into homes and businesses through drain pipes. Backups create damage to the structure of the property, contents, and can create health hazards.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowner and business insurance policies do not cover sewer backup. Typically, a specific sewer backup coverage needs to be added to your policy. For most insurers, this is a nominal cost on your annual insurance policy.
There are several causes for a sewer backup to occur in your property. Some include:
- Blockages from Tree Roots
- Sanitary Main Blockages
- Aging Sewer Systems
- Combined Pipelines
What can you do to help prevent backups?
- Dispose of grease and paper products properly
- Cut back tree roots periodically
- Replace your line with new plastic pipe
- Correct any illegal plumbing connections
- Install a backwater prevention valve
Experiencing a sewer backup?
In the event of a backup, immediately arrange services for the cleanup of your property by contacting SERVPRO of Sedalia at 660-826-1144.
Tips on What to Do Until SERVPRO Help Arrives
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Do not spread contaminated by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a chance of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans water to dry the structure and spread contaminants.